A bit like cluster headache but different.
- Frequent attacks of unilateral pain focused around the eye or temporal region
- Associated with autonomic symptoms (lacrimation etc)
- EPH occurs during the day and does not display the same cicadian rhythm as seen with cluster headache
- Generally these are briefer and more frequent than cluster headaches
- EPH last 2-30minutes and there can be 20-40 attacks a day
- (By contrast cluster headaches often start after falling asleep and peak within minutes then end abruptly, usually lasting 15-180 minutes – there’s usually clusters from one every other day to 8 in a day)
Treatment for Episodic Paroxysmal Hemicarnia is INDOMETHACIN 25 – 75mg TDS