The Cadicott report stresses the importance of maintaining and protecting patient confidentiality.
The six principles are:
- Justify the purposes for using patient data
- Do not use patient-identifiable infomation unless it is absolutely necessary
- Use the minimum necessary patient identifiable infomation necessary
- Access to patient identifyable infomation should be on a strictly need-to-know basis
- Everyone should be aware of their responsibiitis to maintain patient confidentiality
- Understand and comply with the law particularly the Data Protection Act